What Are the Advantages of a Frequent Preventive Maintenance Plan for Computers?
Unlike curative maintenance for computers, which is done only when they break down or an incident occurs, a preventive maintenance plan for computers is used to prevent problems and optimize the functioning of the tool. Whatever the company’s field of business, good IT management, including a frequent preventive maintenance policy, has many advantages.
Set up a monitoring system
By ensuring frequent preventive maintenance operations, you limit intrusions and breakdowns and can intervene before failures or incidents even occur: that means less risk of work stoppages, which impact the profitability of the business and can even jeopardize its sustainability.
Manage the IT system suitably
With a regular preventive maintenance plan for computers:
- The lifespan of the workstations and the equipment in general is optimized,
- Software redundancies and system errors are detected and corrected,
- The company’s IT security is at its maximum level,
- The IT system is powerful and available.
Increase the productivity of the business
Thanks to upstream interventions:
- Incidents such as breakdowns, bugs, and delays, as well as piracy and intrusions by viruses, are limited: the company is at less risk of workstation immobilizations and work stoppages.
- Unlike breakdowns and incidents, maintenance operations are planned, preventing disruptions to the work of the teams and the proper functioning of the departments: interventions can therefore be planned during employees’ days off or employees can be temporarily assigned to another workstation during the maintenance operation.
- In case of an incident, a disaster recovery plan is activated in order to limit the service interruption by returning to the last backup.
Ensure the security of the business
Carrying out frequent preventive maintenance operations helps improve the level of security of the business:
- The operating systems, software, and antivirus programs are updated on the workstations and servers as soon as the new versions are available: the IT tools work better and faster, they’re compatible with the rest of the fleet, and the possibilities of intrusion by a virus or a pirate into the IT system are reduced.
- Security breaches are detected during the interventions and corrective actions are taken before an incident occurs,
- Training aimed at educating staff to adopt safe practices and appropriate use of the IT tools, including internet access, also helps prevent dangerous behaviours and limit the vulnerability of the system to piracy and viruses.
Reduce IT-related costs
At first glance, you might have the impression that a frequent preventive maintenance plan for computers will cost you more than a curative maintenance plan alone. In fact, it’s quite the opposite, and you can see this for yourself: just compare the cost of frequent preventive maintenance with all the expenses related to interventions by technicians in the event of breakdowns, the more frequent purchases of equipment, the losses of employee productivity due to system delays and malfunctions, and – above all – the loss of earnings related to the interruptions to the business.
Properly managing the IT tool and – in particular – implementing a preventive maintenance plan is essential for a company. If you don’t have the required knowledge or the time to take care of it yourself, consider managed services: the proper management of your IT equipment isn’t an expense but an investment, and it helps preserve the sustainability of your business.